Prompted

Alright... I only got one response from my last prompt, but it was a good response, so I'm going to post another one. As I write this, I will simply dream of the day when I am a published author and people are jumping to respond to my posts. ;)

The guidelines are the same as last time:
  • Your response can be however long or short you like. Within reason... No single sentences and no page-long ordeals.
  • You can post your response in the comments or post a link to your response in the comments (if you have a blog).
  • There is no prize for the "best" response. This is purely for fun. :)
Alrighty... Here we go.

Write a scene that involves these three objects:
a book, a key, and a letter.
 
My response was:
 
"We have to be getting close," I whisper to my Golden Retriever/Yellow Lab mix. Riley just wags his tail continues to follow me through the woods behind my house. In my hand I clutch the letter. The letter I've read at least ten times this morning. "If you want all the answers, look inside the Hollow Oak." That's how I was sure my sister's message was for me. The Hollow Oak was our favorite place to play when we were young. Even if others were to know about the ancient oak tree on our property, they wouldn't have understood why she capitalized the letters as though it were a place and not just a tree. It was our place. Mine and hers.
 
When the Hollow Oak finally comes into view, my breath catches in my throat. It should never have come to this. Aileen should be here with me, right now. Not sending me on a quest from the grave. Riley must sense my sorrow, as his cold, wet nose presses against my hand. "It's okay, boy. It's okay," I murmur, gently stroking his head. As okay as such a thing can be.
 
The key hangs by a royal blue hair ribbon -one of the ribbons Aileen used to wear with her cheerleading uniform. Yanking it away from the vine she weaved it into, I examine it closely, tears welling. This is not "all the answers." It's just a key -and a key to an unknown lock, at that. The letter said nothing about a key. I fish her diary out of my backpack. Maybe there's something inside that can tell me what the key goes to. I flip through the empty pages toward the back. Nothing. Suddenly, it dawns on me. The key is old. Old and ornate. Grandma's heirloom chest. The one she gave Aileen for her sixteenth birthday. Maybe that's where the answers are. They have to be there. 
 
I can't wait to see what y'all come up with!

Comments

  1. Leah slid the old book of the shelf. It was a green hardback with its title embossed in gold and beneath the title a boy done in gold silhouette stood. His hands on his hips and a fairy above his head. Leah loved Peter Pan since it was filled with adventure and even at this age she still collected the books, movies, and even the occasional Tinkerbell figurine. She saw a piece of paper sticking out above the pages. She opened it to the marker. It was an envelope. Still sealed. It was addressed to : “My fellow adventurer”. Leah’s curiosity got the best of her and she opened it. Quietly because the sound of ripping paper is dangerous in a book store. When she unfolded the letter, a key fell out. She picked it up from the floor. The piece of paper had an address: “4089 Elysium Way, Kessler’s Hill, Georgia.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Intriguing! Every bit of it. Even down to the address!

      Delete
  2. Where could it be? I had looked everywhere in the crummy postage-stamp apartment but I couldn't find what I was looking for. The anonymous letter had given the address and said to look for a key. I searched frantically anywhere a key could possibly be hidden. My forehead broke out in a cold sweat. If I didn't have this key by 10:53 tonight then I was dead meat. So I looked long and hard but my search was fruitless. I sat down on the dirty bed and put my head in my hands.
    Think Lavinia, think! I looked around the room once more. I had even gone so far as to look behind the pictures on the wall and in every book on the bookshelf. I swallowed a sob, still staring at the bookshelf. The bookshelf! I ran across the room and muscled the shelf from the wall. I switched on my flashlight and surveyed the back. Nothing. Then I got down on my knees and felt under the bottom. I reached my arm back as far back as I could. My fingers barely touched something hard and cold. The key!

    Hope you like it Ashely!

    HP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Nice and suspenseful. You left me wondering why she wants this key so badly. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm so glad you're here. I respond to all comments as long y'all make sure to DIGG whatever you say. ;)
"Does It Glorify God?"

Popular posts from this blog

The Mighty Ducks 1992 kostenlose filme -1440p-FLA

The Big Lebowski 1998 kostenlose filme -1080p-SDDS

Hellboy 2004 kostenlose filme -1440p-MPEG-1