The Weakest Link


Remember that show “The Weakest Link?” It’s been so long since I’ve seen it (I used to watch it with my Papa, so that puts me under twelve) and I didn’t really understand the show at the time, but I’ll never forget the stoic lady who hosted it. She was my favorite part. I loved  hearing her say “, you are… the weakest link.” Cue the dramatic music. Looking back, I’m not sure why I got such a kick out of that cold catchphrase. Nowadays especially, since I’ve come to understand true weakness.

Weaknesses are frustrating things. We all have them, we all try to hide them, and we’re all deeply affected by them. Unfortunately, they’re often the things that we think hold us back from serving God fully and doing what he calls us to do. “I’m not ready to lead.” “I’m just not able to do this.” “I can’t because I’m not good at that.” “I’ve got this thing going on in my life and…” Yada yada yada. I’ve been there. Every single one of those statements is something that I’ve said in response to a new task or challenge, but guess what God has to say about 95% of the things I try to wiggle out of.

So what? You think this is about you... Your abilities? Your strengths?

Uh-oh. Sounds like Someone’s not accepting excuses, anymore. Not that He ever has, really...

In Exodus 4:10, we find Moses giving God an excuse about why he couldn’t speak to the people of Israel.

  • Man’s excuse: Oh, my LORD, I am not eloquent, either in the past or since you have spoken to your servant, but I am slow of speech and of tongue.
  • God’s reply: Who has made man’s mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the LORD? Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak.

So you’d think that this would be the end of it. I mean, that last statement’s pretty firm. Yet, Moses wasn’t quite there yet. He wasn’t exactly making excuses, this time. He was going straight for the copout.
 
  • Man’s plea: Oh, my LORD, please send someone else.
  • God’s reply (and He wasn't pleased): Is there not Aaron, your brother, the Levite? I know he can speak well. Behold, he is coming out to meet you, and when he sees you, he will be glad in his heart. You shall speak to him and put the words in his mouth, and I will be with your mouth and will teach you both what to do.  He shall speak for you to the people, and he shall be your mouth, and you shall be as God to him…

Well, that was the end of it. You can’t really argue with that. “I’ll give you the words, you speak them. If you can’t, let your brother say it for you.” And off Moses went to speak to the people of Israel and Egyptian Pharaoh. Then he’d go on to lead the people of Israel out of Egypt, through the desert, and into the Promised Land.

Moving on, we have David. Now David’s situation is a little different from Moses’. David wasn’t the one making excuses this time. He was more than ready to go. Saul was the one who doubted David’s abilities. In 1 Samuel 17, we find the shepherd boy taking food to his older brothers who are serving in the Israelite army. When David arrives, he finds the whole army in a standoff with Goliath, a Philistine giant, whom no one is willing to challenge. Except young David. He seems rather appalled that any Philistine, giant or not, would come against the army of the living God. Furthermore, David confidently offers to fight Goliath. King Saul, however, protests.

  • Man’s protest: You are not able to go against this Philistine to fight with him, for you are but a youth, and he has been a man of war from his youth.
  • God’s response (through David): The LORD who delivered me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine.

Yet again we have a situation where God wasn’t taking excuses. Keep reading. David killed Goliath with a single stone and became the King of Israel (theologians consider him to have been the greatest king of Israel) and is described as being “a man after [God’s] heart” (Acts 13:22).

Finally, we come to the New Testament (2 Corinthians 12), with the apostle Paul. Now, we’re not too sure about the nature of Paul’s weakness. He doesn’t really tell us much about it other to say, “a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me…” It does say that he pleaded with God about it –three times.

  • Man’s cry: (something to the effect of) Please take this trouble away from me.
  • God’s reply: My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.

Oh goodness. What can I even begin to say about Paul? He was written about in Acts, and wrote a good portion of the New Testament (13 out of 27 books). When you think of “evangelism,” think “Paul.” He was hardcore.

All three of these men had weaknesses, but ultimately, God did great things through them. You and I are no different. God hasn’t stopped doing great things through people...

Weaknesses come in many forms: physical, mental, emotional, financial, spiritual, skill-related… You may be able to think of more. Perhaps you are the one allowing your weakness to hold you back. Or maybe someone else is trying to convince you that you can’t handle something. Regardless, you have to understand that God wants more for your life than that.

“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”

Think about that. In our weakness, we have the power of God reinforcing us, if we have the faith in Him to do it. In fact, even our strengths are manifestations of God’s power in out lives. Be that the case, if we depend on God for our everything, then what separates our strengths from our weaknesses?

“I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.”
John 15:5

If God calls you to do something, don’t be afraid to rise to the occasion and take action –even if you don’t feel strong enough, able enough, skilled enough, or equipped enough. Whatever the situation before you may be, you won’t have to handle it on your own. God will provide whatever you need in order for you to do his will.

“I can do all things through him who strengthens me.”
Philippians 4:13

That being said, I am more than happy to acknowledge my own human weakness. I acknowledge it and I will proclaim it: I am… the weakest link.

 

My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.
2 Corinthians 12:9

 All Scripture quotations are taken from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version
Copyright 2001  by Crossway
 

Comments

  1. I know exactly the lady you're talking about! I can still picture her in my head saying that phrase. LOVE this post. And it's so true. We are unable to do anything without leaning on his grace and mercy. Thank goodness, because we wouldn't be able to get out of bed on our own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing... I would love to respond to the comments you leave on my blog through email, but you're set up as a "no reply." I don't know if you know that, but if you didn't and want to fix that, check out this post: http://morefromyourblog.com/no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix-this/

    Then you can get replies from people when you leave comments :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're amazing. I didn't realize that. Thanks. I'm technology illiterate.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm so glad you're here. I respond to all comments as long y'all make sure to DIGG whatever you say. ;)
"Does It Glorify God?"

Popular posts from this blog

The Mighty Ducks 1992 kostenlose filme -1440p-FLA

The Big Lebowski 1998 kostenlose filme -1080p-SDDS

Hellboy 2004 kostenlose filme -1440p-MPEG-1